- Wando Rugby is a club with two teams (A & B)
- We are planning to field a C team (based on player registration), giving all players ample playing time
- All students from Wando, Oceanside and home schooled are eligible to play (no experience is necessary)
- Our goals are to grow the game of rugby, compete at the highest level nationally, coach through 100% positive encouragement, teach both the basic and technical skills, and have a crazy amount of fun!
- All teams play in the Rugby South Carolina (RSC) league, which is divided into two divisions based on strength. We are the 4-time State Champions: A Team: 2014/16/17 (Division 1); B Team: 2017 (Division 2)
- The A Team is also a member of the MSIRL (Mid-South Invitational Rugby League); an elite league comprised of the top teams in SC, NC and GA. We are the 2017 Champions. Oh yeah, we are really good!
- RSC is a member of USA Rugby; the organization that governs all levels of rugby in the USA. See RugbySouthCarolina.com and USARugby.org for details
- All 9 Wando coaches are volunteers (not school employees) and must pass a Federal background check
- The team does not receive any funding from the school and rely on corporate sponsors and one major fundraiser raffle per season
Practices are Tuesday & Thursday 4:30 to 6:30, October to May
Wando Rugby Practice Field
Cario Middle School – 3500 Thomas Cario Boulevard, Mount Pleasant SC
Tod Shepherd, Head Coach – Wando Rugby Club
- Began playing at Saltfleet High School in Canada in 1987
- Played for McMaster University in Ontario, Canada from 1988-1991
- Played for Stoney Creek RFC in the Ontario Premiership from 1987-1998. Elected Captain and MVP.
- Selected for Niagara Rugby Union All-Stars from 1988-1996
- Selected for Ontario U19 in 1988 Canada Summer Games
- Selected for Ontario Provincial Side in 1995
- Received professional contract in 1995 to play in New Zealand
- Toured Scotland, Ireland & Bermuda
- Played for Charleston Outlaws RFC from 2000-2008. Elected Captain and MVP.
- Head Coach for Wando High School in Mt. Pleasant, SC from 2010-present.
Chris Davis, Head Coach – Wando Rugby Club
- Fort Worth Rugby Club, Fort Worth, TX 1985-1991, Elected Captain 1989-1991
- Texas Northern Counties RFC Select Side, 1989-1990
- Texas Select Side RFC 1990
- Old White Rugby Football Club, Atlanta, Ga. 1991-1995
- Charleston Outlaws Rugby Football Club, Charleston SC 1995-1998
- Old White RFC, Atlanta, Ga. 1998-1999
- Charleston Outlaws RFC, Charleston, SC 1999-2012 Elected Captain and President
- Special guest appearances w/Kelowna Crows,(British Columbia) 1999 and Tokyo Crusaders 2003
- Toured Wales and the Bahamas
- Head Coach for Wando High School in Mt. Pleasant, SC from 2010-present
- Steve Evangelista,
- Guy Vorster,
- Nick Morrison
Join The Club!
Wando Rugby Brief History
Wando Rugby Alumni
Rugby South Carolina, a 501(C)(3) non-profit organization, is a State Based Rugby Organization operating under the authority
of USA Rugby, the governing body for rugby, which is a member of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) and the International Rugby Board (IRB). The organization is responsible for the development of boy’s, girl’s, high school, middle school, rookie rugby and youth club athletic programs in South Carolina, and all of the State teams representing South Carolina in national rugby competition.
Founded in 1975, USA Rugby is the national governing body for the sport of rugby in America, and a Full Sport Member of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) and the International Rugby Board (IRB).
Currently headquartered in Boulder, Colorado, USA Rugby is charged with developing the game on all levels and has over 115,000 active members. USA Rugby oversees four national teams, multiple collegiate and high school All-American sides, and an emerging Olympic development pathway for elite athletes.
USA Rugby is governed by a nine member Board of Directors, a Congress representing the membership and a professional staff headed by a CEO.