- Wando Rugby is a “club” at Wando High School
- We are a member of USA Rugby, a national organization that governs all levels of rugby in the USA, including the National & Olympic Teams.
- Within South Carolina, high school rugby is managed by a statewide league called Rugby South Carolina (a subsidiary of USA Rugby).
- Wando will have two teams (A & B) based on skill level & experience
- Coaches are subject to a Federal background check & must maintain mandatory coaching certification
- ** New in 2017 – Wando joins the Mid South Invitational Rugby League **
Save The Date
Wando RSC will hold the first practice, player registration & parent orientation on Thursday October 27, 2016 – 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm.
New Practice Field: Cario Middle School – 3500 Thomas Cario Boulevard
- All players have the option to purchase a team t-shirt and warm-up suit (see above form)
- All players must purchase the following: (see Cambria Sports in Mt. Pleasant for a 10% discount)
- rugby or soccer cleats
- black rugby shorts
- black rugby socks
- mouth guard
Team communications are done via:
Facebook Group: We have a private group called Wando Rugby.
Team App – Install on your phone via Google Play or the Apple Store. Search for Wando Rugby & join.
- Cario Middle School
- Every Tue & Thu from 4:30pm-6:30pm during the school year
- No practice during Thanksgiving, Christmas week & Spring Break week
- Bring rugby shorts, cleats, mouth guard & water to every practice
- Be properly hydrated & fueled for 2 hours of intense physical activity
- Clean-up after yourself *** Leave no trash behind ***
- 2017 UPDATE: In addition to in-state matches, Wando RSC will be participating in the Mid-South Invitational Rugby League, an eight team league consisting of teams from Georgia, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Fridays at 7pm or 8:30pm
- Home field is Cario Middle School
- Away Games TBD – Chances are good that we’ll be traveling in 2017
- Players help prepare the field for home matches
- Admission is $3 per person (each player receives 3 free tickets for home games). Students are $2.
Wando Rugby – Recent Highlights
- 2016 Season: Rugby South Carolina State Champions
- 2015 Season: Lowcountry Division Champs, 2nd Place State of SC High School Championship
- 2014 Season – State of SC High School Rugby League Champion; became an official club at Wando High School.
Tod Shepherd, Head Coach – Wando Rugby Club
- Began playing at Saltfleet High School in Canada in 1987
- Played for McMaster University in Ontario, Canada from 1988-1991
- Played for Stoney Creek RFC in the Ontario Premiership from 1987-1998. Elected Captain and MVP.
- Selected for Niagara Rugby Union All-Stars from 1988-1996
- Selected for Ontario U19 in 1988 Canada Summer Games
- Selected for Ontario Provincial Side in 1995
- Received professional contract in 1995 to play in New Zealand
- Toured Scotland, Ireland & Bermuda
- Played for Charleston Outlaws RFC from 2000-2008. Elected Captain and MVP.
- Head Coach for Wando High School in Mt. Pleasant, SC from 2010-present.
Chris Davis, Head Coach – Wando Rugby Club
- Fort Worth Rugby Club, Fort Worth, TX 1985-1991, Elected Captain 1989-1991
- Texas Northern Counties RFC Select Side, 1989-1990
- Texas Select Side RFC 1990
- Old White Rugby Football Club, Atlanta, Ga. 1991-1995
- Charleston Outlaws Rugby Football Club, Charleston SC 1995-1998
- Old White RFC, Atlanta, Ga. 1998-1999
- Charleston Outlaws RFC, Charleston, SC 1999-2012 Elected Captain and President
- Special guest appearances w/Kelowna Crows,(British Columbia) 1999 and Tokyo Crusaders 2003
- Toured Wales and the Bahamas
- Head Coach for Wando High School in Mt. Pleasant, SC from 2010-present
- Steve Evangelista,
- Guy Vorster,
- Nick Morrison
Join The Club!
Wando Rugby Brief History
Wando Rugby Alumni
Rugby South Carolina, a 501(C)(3) non-profit organization, is a State Based Rugby Organization operating under the authority
of USA Rugby, the governing body for rugby, which is a member of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) and the International Rugby Board (IRB). The organization is responsible for the development of boy’s, girl’s, high school, middle school, rookie rugby and youth club athletic programs in South Carolina, and all of the State teams representing South Carolina in national rugby competition.
Founded in 1975, USA Rugby is the national governing body for the sport of rugby in America, and a Full Sport Member of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) and the International Rugby Board (IRB).
Currently headquartered in Boulder, Colorado, USA Rugby is charged with developing the game on all levels and has over 115,000 active members. USA Rugby oversees four national teams, multiple collegiate and high school All-American sides, and an emerging Olympic development pathway for elite athletes.
USA Rugby is governed by a nine member Board of Directors, a Congress representing the membership and a professional staff headed by a CEO.